Top Ten Reasons to Support a Public Option

I’ve become pretty political lately when it comes to Health Care Reform and the Public Option (you know my whole ‘personal story‘ and all). So much so, that I started a Facebook page for like-minded people.
Anyhoo, one thing I’ve found (other than realizing why so many people don’t get political: angry friends= not fun) is that a lot of people don’t see the benefit to a Public Option. They think it will create higher taxes, that it will become “government run”, and so on. So, I’ve put together my top ten reasons why we should have a Public Option. I’ve even included references/links. They might not be in the order you would put them in, but hey, we can’t agree on everything.

Quick Edit: I’d like to add a quote from The Nation’s article: What Obama Should Be Saying About a Public Option:

“Obama can still get a public option. But he needs to understand that the public option is, itself, a compromise. It falls short of the “Medicare for All” model favored by serious reformers. As such, the president cannot compromise the compromise.”

Top Ten Reasons to Support a Public Option

10. We Love Other Public Options
Imagine what it would be like if we didn’t have these Public Options. If my house is burning down, I really don’t want to call 911 and have them make sure my fire station takes my HMO.

9. People Should Come Before Profits
The Health Industry spends over 6.2 million lobbying against the Public Option, and is known for rescinding insurance coverage of patients in order to get higher bonuses. That says a lot about where the private industry interests go when it comes to your health and wellbeing. Your health should not be someone else’s bottom line.

8. Help the Backbone of Our Economy
A Public Option would help small businesses by saving them thousands of dollars. It would also help contractors and freelancers, college students transitioning into the workplace, and those who recently lost their jobs (can anyone actually afford COBRA?).

7. It’s American!
Having as many choices as possible as well as creating competition is “American,” isn’t it? Well, 76% of Americans are asking for a choice between a public and private option. And to those who say it’s unfair competition, I hate to break it to you, but public universities have not killed private universities. Bring on the choices, bring on the competition!

6. Put the Breaks on Special Interests
A democratic government is supposed to be run “by the people, FOR the people”. Not “by the rich, for the private interests”. Get it together, Max Baucus. When you receive over 2 million from the health industry, it’s not hard to see why you’re on their side. Except you work for us—the public.

5. Put Our Money Where Our Families Are
This is NOT the issue to wave the “fiscally conservative” flag. Why can we spend near trillions of dollars on wars, but not even close to that on creating healthy American people? PLUS, Obama even says he won’t sign a bill that adds to our deficit! AND just because you think you’re being economically mindful (looking past the odd moment to be so), doesn’t mean that in the long run you’re actually making a fiscally conservative judgment (you’ll see at #2)

4. Longer, Healthier American Lives
The United States has a life expectancy below that of 41 other nations, and over 45,000 Americans die each year from lack of Health Insurance. A Public Option would give these people a fighting chance that would dramatically improve our ranking.

3. Move Into the 21st Century
Universal health care is available in all industrialized countries except ours. At the very LEAST we should have a Public Option!

2. Save our Economy
The majority of Americans who filed for bankruptcies in 2007 were due to medical costs… and of those people, 80% had Health Insurance. A Public Option will help bring down bankruptcies by lowering costs, creating competition, and in the long run save all Americans money (we won’t be paying for all those bankruptcies!).

And the Number 1 reason to support a Public Option…

1. It’s the Right Thing To Do
It’s a moral issue. We, as humans, should not decide who does or does not get help when they need it. Every person deserves health care. Apologies to those who are not Christian, but to quote Susan Brooks’ article: “Jesus was not about debating whether we should or should not heal the sick; Jesus went ahead and delivered health care directly to people who didn’t have any health care.”

(The Lord said) “’For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me. ‘ They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. ‘” (Matthew 25:42-45 NIV)

~~~~~~~~
If you’re on the same page as me… come join No Compromise! Americans for the Public Option.

No Compromise! Americans for the Public Option

6 Responses to “Top Ten Reasons to Support a Public Option”

1. lo says:

Is there any reason there should not be single payer healthcare? Someone else said the following and it summerizes my thoughts on the subject exactly, add one line to the constitution, free healthcare for every person in the US, citizen or not.

2. Jack Wade says:

Abby, Your top 10 has the most important reasons for a public option all in one place.
    If we as a nation can truly say "In God We Trust" with a straight face, we must follow Matthew 25:42-45 and do the right thing.
    If not, can we really say that God is on our side.

3. John H. Armstrong says:

How did health care and the public option get connected to the healing miracles of Jesus? Someone ought to take a course in hermeneutics before making this kind of simplistic connection to a modern debate about the best way to address a social problem. While I believe in "public theology" this is a ridiculous non sequiter. If we are to have an honest debate then this kind of argument needs to go just as much as the Right's use of Scripture to support its favorite causes. Some good points were seriously compromised by this conclusion.

4. Abby says:

Hi John,
    Thanks for commenting. I seriously debated whether or not I should put in something from the Bible. But as a Christian myself, it's something that I believe needs to be highlighted. The verse that I quote has NOTHING to do with Jesus' healing miracles. It actually has to do with him telling his followers to do unto others as they do unto him. (to elaborate, if they do not take care of the poor/sick, they are not taking care of him(Jesus). If they take care of the poor/sick, they are taking care of Jesus) To me, this is a calling for us to love and help one another in times of need. When people are sick, we need to give them health care. I believe that the only way we can accomplish this is by a PUBLIC system of health care. As far as the private industry goes, it is not a good business strategy to invest in sick people. So in turn, those people get left in the dust (which makes sense when you're looking at it from a business perspective). That is why we, the people, need to take care of our own.

I do appreciate you commenting on my blog post.
    Many Thanks,
    Abby

5. 6p00d83451cfe769e2 says:

Abby,

You correct me helpfully in that I did not make my point clearly. I was referring to the quote attributed to Susan Brooks, not to Jesus, and did not say so. She is making the connection to modern health care from Jesus freely healing the sick. There are numerous problems (exegetically) with this link. One is that Jesus himself did not give out free health care. His miracles had a historical/redemptive context and purpose. The fact is many went unhealed by Jesus. He introduced no system of care unless he envisioned the church caring for those within her fellowship. This is not to say he did not care for the sick. The Gospels make it plain he did and had compassion on them. But this is still not the modern health care debate.

Early Christians cared for their own. The church today does not. Maybe we should start there before we embrace a federal solution on a much wider scale. This is a truly valid question and not one linked to the compassionate work of our Lord.

Conservatives argue that God wants Republicans because they are pro-life and non-conservatives argue that Democrats embrace the compassion of Jesus in wanting government to care for the least and the poorest. Both arguments are well and good intentioned but have very little to do with solid exegesis of Scripture. This was my primary point. Thanks for responding and forcing me to clarify what I messed up.

Grace and peace!

6. Sissy says:

Enjoyed reading your very good points! Surely people can understand the need for the public option. I'm waiting on the tide to turn politically, and with people like you speaking so eloquently on the topic, I'm sure it will.

Use the Form Below to Leave a Reply